States page sub content
Medical Professional Liability Insurance
Provides coverage for damages because of injury caused by a medical incident directly resulting from professional health care services or professional committee activities.
Prior Acts/Nose Coverage (Over Current Retroactive Date)
Conveniently provides coverage from one insurer.
Right to Consent to Settle
Places you in control of whether to settle a claim.
Death, Disability and Retirement
NORCAL Mutual provides a free tail in the event of death or disability, or a retirement tail after a physician has been insured with NORCAL Mutual for one year with a retroactive date of at least 48 months and completely retires from the practice of medicine.
Defense Outside the Limits
The Company will pay on behalf of the insured all sums up to the applicable policy limit for which the insured becomes legally obligated to pay as damages covered under this policy. The Company will also pay all reasonable claim expenses and/or defense costs incurred in addition to the policy limits of liability as stated on the Declarations Page, subject to the retroactive date, under the following coverage.
Important Mcare Refund Information for Pennsylvania Policyholders
In 2014, a settlement was reached regarding the Mcare Fund requiring that $200 million be returned to physicians, hospitals and other health care providers who pay assessments into the Fund. Read more
Information and Network Security
This endorsement provides substantial coverage for a wide variety of potential costs related to information security — with no deductible and at no additional cost to you. NORCAL Mutual also provides policyholders exclusive access to an online library of educational and training resources related to information security.
- Information & network security liability — Protection against claims alleging unauthorized release of personal information, violations of information privacy law, or unauthorized use of/access to your computer system.
- Media liability — Protection against claims arising from material published on a Website, in ads, etc., including allegations of libel, slander, copyright infringement, or trademark violations.
- Regulatory privacy proceedings & regulatory fines & penalties — Coverage for defense of HIPAA violations, state and federal information privacy law violations, etc; and for certain related fines and penalties.
- Customer notification & credit monitoring expenses — Coverage for expenses incurred as a result of information breaches, including costs of notifying affected parties and providing them with credit monitoring services.
- Electronic data recovery & replacement expenses — Coverage for expenses incurred to recover or replace electronic data lost or damaged because of a computer virus, hacking or other system invasion.
- Cyber extortion — Coverage for expenses and extortion monies as a direct result of credible threats, including introduction malicious code into an insured computer system.
- Cyber terrorism — Coverage for income loss and business interruption expenses due to a terrorist act that takes down the insured computer system.
Provides defense cost reimbursement and practice interruption expense reimbursement for administrative proceedings and employment-related civil actions related to:
- Medical Licensure and Privileges
- Employment Practices
- Billing errors
- EMTALA Proceedings
- CLIA Proceedings
- STARK Proceedings
- Fines and penalties for administrative proceedings
Protecting You Through the Day to Day
On-site Clinical and Administrative Assessment
Helps you identify risks, as well as evaluate and improve your practice systems.
Industry-leading CME Program
Assists you in enhancing patient safety and improving communication.
Monthly Claims Rx Publication
Helps you stay on top of current administrative and clinical issues.
Risk Management Day and Night Phone Consultations
Offers peace of mind and allows you to call NORCAL day and night for emergent Risk Management advice.
For additional information about this or any other NORCAL policy, please contact Customer Service at 844.4NORCAL.